Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Check In

So at this point we've reviewed materials covering Ethics, Quantitative Methods, Economics, and Financial Reporting & Analysis.

CFAI divides material into 18 'study sessions' each consisting of about 2-7 readings.  At this point, we have covered 10 of the 18 study sessions.

After starting with the CFAI materials, I switched to Schweser beginning with probability and used Schweser to get through Economics and FR&A.  I'm feeling a bit conflicted about using Schweser; I do feel that the materials are good, but I also feel like I should perhaps be spending more time with the CFAI materials as they are more thorough and will probably do a better job of getting a complete picture.

So I'm going to compromise a bit and spend the next few study sessions with the CFAI materials on Corporate Finance and Portfolio Management.  These represent study sessions 11 and 12.  Corporate finance is about 7 readings and Portfolio Management is 4.  I'll be curious during this to quickly flick back and forth between CFAI and Schweser and see how the two compare.

My little Excel spreadsheet says I have logged about 67 hours so far studying for the CFA, averaging about 3.7 hours per day.  This was a little lower than my usual average on account of 3 full days off of studying while I had company in town - my projected total hours has fallen from a comfy 350 to a 310, still probably safe but I will likely be putting in some extra hours this week to try and up the average.

On the whole, I think another 60 hours or so should get me through the rest of the material, at which point I can exclusively work on practice questions, exams, and mastery of the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment